\', 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom, \' - \', Honda DOHC Customs, \'
  Login or Register
1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements
D-Day
Here's Gumby!
Here's Gumby!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

With over 200 members now and growing strong, I think it's a good time to talk about trolls. They manifest themselves across the web in numerous forums and have become such a problem that some forums essentially shut down. While we do not support censorship on this site, we also will not support troll-like behaviour.

First, what is a Troll. Wikipedia says:

In Internet Forums

A person who enters unknown forums who bashes and insults forum members with unfounded arguments, or anyone that enters any sort of internet community for the sole purpose of harassing others is often referred to as a troll.

But really, a Troll is more (and less) than that. A Troll posts inflammatory messages for the sole purpose of getting attention. It's true that this does include harrassing others but it can also range to messages on any and all topics that might draw rebuttals from anyone on the board. Once a single reply is posted the Troll has met his or her goal of being important enough for response and attention.

At times this abberrant behaviour can actually be entertaining, especially when a message board attracts two or more Trolls who then battle to see who is King Troll (if you will) and therefore deserves the most attention. Unfortunately, I have also seen boards effectively killed as the more responsible and mature members, tired of the constant demands to feed the Troll's ego, drift away.

So, what is the best way course of action to follow should your local forums become Troll-infested? Once identified, the Troll could be banned but returning under a different name and IP address is just too easy and results in the Admin playing a constant game of seek-and-destroy. The best way, in my nearly 30 years of online experience, to deal with a Troll is to simply ignore it. Do not, under any condition or provocation, reply to ANY of the Troll's messages. You have to understand that NOTHING you can write, no matter how astute or well argued, will deter the Troll from its choosen purpose. The Troll, lacking the attention his or her damaged ego so desperately needs, will go elsewhere and you can get back to the business of building your online community.

When we identify a troll on this site, as determined by the admins whom I'm sure will be informed by the general community, we will take action: First a warning and then a ban.

Remember, this isn't about the constant ribbing and jokes between all of us. That's all in good fun. A troll contributes nothing besides harassment and attempts at gaining attention.

This has been a Public Service Message...

2001 BMW K1200LT (RIP)
1991 Honda ST1100. 190K miles and smooth as silk. 
holysmokes
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

cb750c.com troll free in 2011

my artistic rendition of a dead troll Arrow beat it

People are just as happy as they make up their
minds to be.” ― Abraham Lincoln
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/johnveinot/DSCF1663.jpg
04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

There were lots of trolls, we just eliminated them ...

Kindly read this linked thread with the rules before posting
pictures or asking lots of questions that are already answered in it.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic